Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
[HoS] Zoc clarification
Zoc clarification posté le [18/03/2020] à 23:32

Could a unit moves at its activation turn to a square being the zoc of an enemy's unit, without to assault the enemy unit?

The rules on pg 7 writes that an inf unit may move Into or Out of an enemy unit's Zoc, but cannot move within one.

Someone to give me a better and clearer explain please.

I suppose by this that I could move.

Zoc clarification posté le [19/03/2020] à 05:31

Note: All my page references and such are to the English version of the HoS rules. There are some differences in formatting and such in the French version. I bring this up because I ran into this issue once already when asking a question written in English but posed by someone with the French book.

This is difficult to do without at least a picture of the board position of the units and what you are trying to do…

Are you talking about units moving over open ground? That is covered by the 3rd-from-the-top left-hand-side illustration on p.7, the one under the paragraph that starts with a large, red "EXCEPTION". It shows legal moves with regard to ZoC. In fact, the exception itself states that the ONLY time you can move within a ZoC is to assault a unit.

The concept of ZoC is apparently very difficult for people to grasp based on the wording, but English does not lend itself that well to clarifying this.

The old wording (HoN rules and Compendium) used to say a unit could not move THROUGH a ZoC. The problem is that "through" can also mean "in one side and out the other", such as: "the train moved through the tunnel and back into the light of day", or (more thematically), "the tank fired a shell that passed right through the wall of the house." A unit is very much allowed to move into a ZoC and then back out. It cannot move within a ZoC from one square to another.

The term WITHIN means entirely inside the area. A rat can move THROUGH a hole in a wall and out the other side, but if he decides to stay inside the wall, he can move within the wall to perhaps find a quiet spot to hide. It is still within the wall while doing that.

So moving WITHIN a ZoC is trying to move from one square that is controlled to another square that is controlled. It is not allowed, unless you are assaulting an enemy unit.

If you were referring to a situation involving an offset grid, that is a bit more complicated, due to how ZoC interacts with the partial grid spaces around an offset grid. The illustration on the top of p. 7 in the HoS book shows examples of legal movement and non-legal movement with regard to ZoC and an offset grid.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Zoc clarification posté le [19/03/2020] à 05:31

Note: All my page references and such are to the English version of the HoS rules. There are some differences in formatting and such in the French version. I bring this up because I ran into this issue once already when asking a question written in English but posed by someone with the French book.

This is difficult to do without at least a picture of the board position of the units and what you are trying to do…

Are you talking about units moving over open ground? That is covered by the 3rd-from-the-top left-hand-side illustration on p.7, the one under the paragraph that starts with a large, red "EXCEPTION". It shows legal moves with regard to ZoC. In fact, the exception itself states that the ONLY time you can move within a ZoC is to assault a unit.

The concept of ZoC is apparently very difficult for people to grasp based on the wording, but English does not lend itself that well to clarifying this.

The old wording (HoN rules and Compendium) used to say a unit could not move THROUGH a ZoC. The problem is that "through" can also mean "in one side and out the other", such as: "the train moved through the tunnel and back into the light of day", or (more thematically), "the tank fired a shell that passed right through the wall of the house." A unit is very much allowed to move into a ZoC and then back out. It cannot move within a ZoC from one square to another.

The term WITHIN means entirely inside the area. A rat can move THROUGH a hole in a wall and out the other side, but if he decides to stay inside the wall, he can move within the wall to perhaps find a quiet spot to hide.

So moving WITHIN a ZoC is trying to move from one square that is controlled to another square that is controlled. It is not allowed, unless you are assaulting an enemy unit.

If you were referring to a situation involving an offset grid, that is a bit more complicated, due to how ZoC interacts with the partial grid spaces around an offset grid. The illustration on the top of p. 7 in the HoS book shows examples of legal movement and non-legal movement with regard to ZoC and an offset grid.

Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Zoc clarification posté le [19/03/2020] à 15:52

The case is more simple that at start seemed. English is not my native language, excuse the misunderstanding.

I meant, an inf unit, outside of the enemy's zoc, decide to enter in the first enemy's zoc square and stops there, with no intention to assault.

That is what I'm asking, is it possible to happens this?

Thanks

Zoc clarification posté le [19/03/2020] à 16:01

Quote from Mark75 on [19/03/2020] à 15:52

I meant, an inf unit, outside of the enemy's zoc, decide to enter in the first enemy's zoc square and stops there, with no intention to assault.

That is what I'm asking, is it possible to happens this?

Yes! Entirely possible, you can move into and stop.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Zoc clarification posté le [19/03/2020] à 17:14

Τherefore, a unit may moves and occupy an enemy's zoc square and stops, or may continue in the next square, if only declares assault.

Absolutely clear

Thanks

[HoS] Zoc clarification posté le [26/03/2020] à 10:09

Video – Zone of Control – Heroes of Black Reach – Tutorial – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioP69haqg4

Happy HoN player in Toronto.

[HoS] Zoc clarification posté le [29/03/2020] à 23:18

Thanks for that reminder, slyfox. Many of the same discussions here were covered in that video, and it has a good visual component to help clarify things.

Pages : 1