Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Assaulting limited fire arc units that have other non limited weapons
Assaulting limited fire arc units that have other non limited weapons Posted on [07/12/2021] à 07:51

“If you assault a unit that has the limited firing arc special ability and you assaulted from a square that is outside of that unit’s firing arc, the defender receives a Suppressed Marker before the assault is resolved.”

RAW (rule as written) it seems that assaulting a Land Raider Redeemer from the back/front it will get a Suppressed Marker, no matter if it has a big double rotating gun on its top that has no firing arc limitation. This happens also when assaulting a Vindicator (from the back/sides) or DaDakka Battle wagon (back and sides). Both have a secondary weapon with no firing-arc-limitation, but R.A.W. they get suppressed nontheless.

Am I playing right?

Or is the R.A.W. different than the R.A.I. (Rule As Intended)? I mean: maybe the rule was conceived for assaulting Cannons (only) and the examples I’ve brought are unwanted collateral side-effects in the case of assaulting heavy vehicles that are instead armed to the teeth with several types of weapon?

Assaulting limited fire arc units that have other non limited weapons Posted on [08/12/2021] à 10:51

You have a good question here… Let me see if I can solve this.

The Land Raider Redeemer has three weapons, of which only two have a limited firing arc. That third weapon (yellow outline, secondary weapon) fires 360°.

I would say the Suppressed Marker rules do not apply in this case because there is still a third applicable weapon without a Limited Firing Action. Thematically, that Land Raider is a big-ass vehicle that's dangerous as hell… Assaulting it will not be easy.

Smaller units, like a Thunderfire Cannon, also have a Limited Firing Arc, but in that case, it applies to both the regular Combat Values and the Alternative Firing Action's values of the Indirect Fire template. Such a unit would receive a Suppressed Marker when assaulted from outside that Limited Firing Arc.

☠☠☠ Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Assaulting limited fire arc units that have other non limited weapons Posted on [08/12/2021] à 13:54

“If you assault a unit that has the limited firing arc special ability and you assaulted from a square that is outside of that unit’s firing arc, the defender receives a Suppressed Marker before the assault is resolved.”

Even disregarding the assault cannon on the Redeemer (which has 360 degree arc), You cannot approach the Redeemer from a square that is outside that units firing arc. Each of those flamers cover 180 degree arc and both of them combined have all approaches covered (i.e. together they have 360 degree arc)

That is pretty bad rules lawyering to say that you could assault that vehicle from outside the firing units firing arc because you can avoid single flamers firing arc. The RAW does NOT support that position at all.

Every weapon of the vehicle/gun has to have limited arc that you can avoid for that rule to trigger (like in the case of Thunderfire cannon).

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Pages: 1