Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2
Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [13/09/2021] à 18:24

Hello!

I was thinking about the V2 changes to how artillery and airstrikes work (no longer being cards that are randomly shuffled into the deck, now are counters which you place an order on whenever you'd like). This got me thinking: what about the Paratrooper cards? With the new 2.0 decks, we are now supposed to play with all 50 cards (old rules we needed a minimum of 40, this may still apply but I don't know – please confirm). In other words – a player may have anywhere between 50-56 cards in their deck, including the purchasable paratrooper cards.

The problem I see with the Paratrooper cards is the same as with the old artillery/airstrike system – especially now that we have a larger deck to work with, and we aren't really supposed to remove cards from the 50-card deck if my understanding is correct. We spend 15 or 25 points on the Paratrooper cards, but we can only use them based on random chance as we draw them – and we draw them from a larger deck, further reducing the chance we might get one per hand. This seems to me a very risky and inefficient usage of points, especially considering that the elite Paratrooper options lack armour and need to compensate with superior quality infantry. Even if you draw one or two cards – you probably won't be using all the cards that you've purchased. This is a real bummer.

Here are some different options:

(1) instead of shuffling the Paratrooper cards into our decks (we may never see paratrooper cards at all over the course of an 8 turn game if very unlucky) we can keep the Paratrooper cards separate – just like artillery in V2 – and can use them at any time we choose for eligible para units.

(2) only 1 special paratrooper card can be used per order (card of your choice), and all cards are separated from main deck.

(3) you can draw up to one paratrooper card each supply phase (can't start off with one, draw 4 normal cards for first turn). Shuffle the paratrooper cards and place them beside main deck OR choose one card per supply.

Something other than relying on dumb luck for us to draw the cards would be a significant improvement and would make them far more useful for the points. I think most players (me and my small group at the very least) would like to have more control and eliminate the random factor – which is exactly what was done for artillery and airstrikes to great effect. We can't justify spending points on cards we can't really control/may not draw, especially when you flat out lose points on cards that you never see. What do you all think about the above suggestions? Please let me know if any of those options are of interest.

Thanks for your consideration!

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 11:34

I completely missed that arty now works with an order token instead of a card! 😮 I thought it was only aircraft that where reworked in this fashion.

And to give feedback on your idea. This feels like a slippery slope. If you have an armored army, it might also happen with vehicle cards. So you might want to set those apart as well with that train of thought.

The troops themselves already have airborne quirks and abbilities. So the cards are only a nice extra bit of power.

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 14:06

While I can still attack with a Paratroop unit without needing a card — they are still functional without their "cookies". But in the case of Artillery or Aircraft, the old cards were the ONLY way to use the units for which you paid points. That is a big difference.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 14:16

Quote from JanHoos on [14/09/2021] à 11:34

And to give feedback on your idea. This feels like a slippery slope. If you have an armored army, it might also happen with vehicle cards. So you might want to set those apart as well with that train of thought.

The troops themselves already have airborne quirks and abbilities. So the cards are only a nice extra bit of power.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this.

1) You still get the full value of your armour since you pay for the *unit* and the cards are free. So, you don't need armour cards to get the value out of the points invested in the vehicle itself. You pay for the vehicle, and you place an order on it whenever you want. Any cards you draw for vehicles are a bonus.

2)The para units you pay for, AND you have to pay for cards that you may never draw. At least with the armour, you get the value of the unit on the field at all times, and the cards are purely extra (and again, free). How would you feel if your HE Shells for tanks (that you pay extra for) were *cards* that you had to randomly draw? Even if you draw them, you might not draw them when you need them. Bottom line: Paratrooper cards are NOT "only an extra bit of power." They are purchasable upgrades, just like Veteran, Ammo, or Camo. You don't pay for vehicle cards, but you pay for the para cards. I still maintain that players shouldn't be put in a position where they spend 15/25 points on cards that they never draw, and get pissed off that they wasted points. That's not fun, and is too dependant on luck. After all, why do the elite paras need luck (when drawing cards) to use their expensive training?

3) The paratrooper "quirks and abilities" are hardly that useful in most games. Urban fighter? Not very useful in most games. Swimmer? Again, very very situational and most games won't utilize that ability… and the fact that the airborne units may have a high defense or assault value is offset by their base cost (higher cost per platoon to begin with). Just because they have quirks and abilities doesn't mean that the current system is right when it comes to drawing these cards randomly from the deck. Paras are expensive, so this is already factored-in.

4) What about things like Ammo, Veteran, HE Shells or other equipment? You pay your points, and you get to use your stuff when you need it. Paratrooper cards, you pay 15 or 25 points just to *hope* you draw all your cards, and *hope* that you draw the right para cards when you actually need them.

My concern is that you pay these points and have no control over when you draw para cards. In my suggestions, that problem is fixed. Of course, there are different options that I provided (and other good members of our forum very well may come up with better ideas than mine), but they all revolve around taking the luck factor out of drawing the cards, or at least allowing the player to see/use all cards he payed for throughout the course of the game. I have now played 3 games where I only drew 1 or 2 cards, and it felt like a total waste. I would have had much better value going for Camo, or Ammo, or Veteran – things I can actually use when I need them, and things that I am guaranteed to use for the points I pay.

Thanks for your response though Jan!

Respectfully,

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 14:21

Quote from Nostradunwhich on [14/09/2021] à 14:06

If I have a machine gun squad, it would be nice if I got easy access to Speed Setup.

Having access to Go! Go! Go1 would be very handy as well.

I can make an argument for any card in the deck.

But while I can use Go! Go! Go! or any other infantry card on a Paratroop unit, or for that matter I can still attack with a Paratroop unit without needing a card. They are still functional without their "cookies".

But in the case of Artillery or Aircraft, the old cards were the ONLY way to use the units for which you paid points. That is a big difference.

Hi Nostradunwhich,

I have to disagree with you entirely here.

The bottom line is that every other card in HoN is *free*. Para cards are paid-for upgrades, just like Veteran tokens. And while Veteran tokens can be used for *any* unit, Para cards are limited only to para units. There are big differences. Go! Go! Go!? Free. Speed setup? Free. Again, no other cards in this game are paid for. The Para cards are not "cookies," but are expensive upgrades that players may never draw into their hand. Spending 15 or 25 points for cards you may never draw is not right, in my honest opinion.

Respectfully,

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 14:34

[Removed some stuff no longer relevant to discussion]

In the realm of "I paid for a card and it never came up…" there is a pretty big gulf between "but I still had an elite unit with some great special abilities" and "the artillery I paid for could never be used all game."

If paying for Paratrooper cards and not getting them bothers you that much, then do what many original HoN players did with the Aircraft and Artillery cards an don't pay for the recruitment option. The paratroopers are still pretty useful without them, so pretty much retain their thematic value and place in a TO&E without paying for the ability to shuffle in their cards.

Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 15:03

Quote from Nostradunwhich on [14/09/2021] à 14:34

If I paid for a machine gun unit, I would really like to have access to Speed Setup. Or any card with a +1 Hit for that matter.

If I paid for a commander, I would like access to Go! Go! Go! so I can leverage the unit.

But all the infantry cards in the deck are useful on the Paratroop units.

As for the argument that "you paid for the unit". You cannot use the majority of the action card deck without paying for a unit. If you have no units on the field, then the cards have no function. There are a few cards you can use if your opponent pays for a unit, but most require you to buy units.

You are also ignoring the fact that the cost of the unit covers its combat values and its special abilities. Combat values and abilities you always have access to once you buy them, well at least as long as the unit survives.

In the realm of "I paid for a card and it never came up…" there is a pretty big gulf between "but I still had an elite unit with some great special abilities" and "the artillery I paid for could never be used all game."

If paying for Paratrooper cards and not getting them bothers you that much, then do what many original HoN players did with the Aircraft and Artillery cards an don't pay for the recruitment option. The paratroopers are still pretty useful without them, so pretty much retain their thematic value and place in a TO&E without paying for the ability to shuffle in their cards.

Hi Nostradunwhich,

Again, I have to disagree.

1) All other cards are free. My concern is that you are paying for the *cards* ON TOP of already paying for the unit. I think the para cards would be perfectly fine for the cost if you could actually access them reliably. By your logic, why don't we make Veteran, or Ammo, or HE Shells to be randomly drawn cards? We pay the 15 for Veteran, and then we get 3 Veteran cards to be randomly shuffled into the deck. Does that sound right?

Why is that the case for para cards? The cost of the para cards are *not* built into the cost of the unit. The cards are expensive and the cost of para platoons are balanced by their combat stats+abilities alone. I would have no concern if the para cards were *free* to be shuffled into the deck. My problem is that they are expensive and there is no guarantee that you will draw them. This problem has worsened since we now work with larger 50-card decks, further reducing the likelihood that we will draw paratrooper cards.

2) Again, the paratrooper units are balanced *for their cost* – if you pay 110 points for a para platoon, that *DOES NOT* factor in the cost of the cards, and you will always get the value of your paras without cards since you are only paying for the units and not the cards. If you pay for para cards – just like HE Shells, Veteran, Ammo, Camo, grenades, etc – that is totally extra and should be accessible for paratroopers when they need them. As it stands now, you run the risk of never seeing the cards you paid for.

3) It's not that I'm super unhappy about this, but it's a genuine suggestion for improvement since I don't think it's balanced. I usually don't even play with Paratroopers, but I really feel like this is an unbalanced rule (shuffling the cards into main deck & drawing randomly after spending 15 or 25 points). No one should be spending points on stuff that they can't use. Para cards should be used just like Veteran, or Ammo. Or, a system where you randomly draw one per supply phase (shuffle para cards and keep them separate from main deck) as I suggested. After all, they are unlike *any* other cards in the game since you pay for them. You cannot make this argument for any other card or unit in HoN.

4) Spending 25 points on artillery and not drawing the old artillery cards is EXACTLY the same as spending 25 points on Para cards and not drawing them. Again – you pay for the Para platoons separately from the cards. The fact that you can use paratroopers means nothing, since that is covered by their own platoon cost already. The cards are completely separated by cost.

Just trying to help improve the game that I love so much!

Sincerely,

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 15:08

If paying for Paratrooper cards and not getting them bothers you that much, then do what many original HoN players did with the Aircraft and Artillery cards an don't pay for the recruitment option.

Just to add, having players pay for cards that they never draw should bother *everybody* who cares about the balance and rules of HoN. This is not really about me, as it is about the rules.

But here's another alternative:

You only pay for the paratrooper cards to separate them from the main deck, and you get them for free if you shuffle them into your main deck. That way, you are paying for 1) the guarantee that you will get them, & 2) the ability to use them at will/together. That way, you never end up paying for cards you don't draw, but at the same time there remains good reason to actually purchase the cards so you can use them and have more control over when you use them as well.

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 15:17

[Removed some stuff no longer relevant to discussion]

"but I still had an elite unit with some great special abilities" and "the artillery I paid for could never be used all game."

Sorry for the multiple posts, but this is the flaw in your argument. You pay for BOTH the elite units and the para cards *separately." The cost of the elite unit is covered independently when you bought the paratroopers themselves. The cards you pay for separately, so you can't conflate the elite infantry (that you already paid for in full) and the cards (extra cost). The para cards are exactly the same as the old artillery cards. They are upgrades that you pay for and have to rely on dumb luck to draw. And if you don't draw them, you can never use the cards you paid for all game. It's the exact same problem. Artillery=25 points just like para cards cost 25 points. At least with the artillery, you didn't need to have any specific unit on the field to use it. It's not like you could only use artillery with a spotter/observer. So, the Para cards require:

1) For you to buy the Paratrooper platoon.

2) To buy the cards.

3) To draw the cards

4) To use the cards only on eligible Para units.

Artillery?

1) To purchase artillery.

2) To draw the cards.

This is the exact same problem. It wouldn't be a problem if the Para cards were free, but that's not the case. As the rules stand now, why bother with the 15pt cards, when you can just take Veteran instead? Why spend 25pt for cards, when I can get a .50 cal Jeep that I know I can use every single turn of the game, guaranteed, and is useful against light vehicles as well? It's not like the paratrooper cards are that good to be worth the risk.

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 20:11

Quote from ASEF on [14/09/2021] à 15:17

This is the exact same problem. It wouldn't be a problem if the Para cards were free, but that's not the case. As the rules stand now, why bother with the 15pt cards, when you can just take Veteran instead?

Then you should take Veteran.

Quote from ASEF on [14/09/2021] à 15:17

Why spend 25pt for cards, when I can get a .50 cal Jeep that I know I can use every single turn of the game, guaranteed, and is useful against light vehicles as well? It's not like the paratrooper cards are that good to be worth the risk.

Then do that. And one good hit roll from an opponent can take out your "card option replacement" so you never get the value of it just the same as never getting your paratrooper cards to the table. Chance is part of the game.

You have a small chance of not drawing one of the 3 cards in a typical game, at least if you are being fairly aggressive in drawing cards.

You have just about no chance of failing to drawing at least some of them if you bought 6. You have a really decent chance of drawing 2 or 3 of them, but likely you will never draw all of them. That is the nature of cards. If the odds offend you, then don't buy the option. It really is as simple as that.

Of course, the typical game of HoN swings quite a bit, depending on the goals of the game, the map, the players, and their dice and card luck. A game can end early and you will have not seen the cards. The game could end early and your Tiger Tank never got to do much damage and that is way more points than the cards.

If you do not think the cards have enough of an extra boost to warrant the points you spent given the odds you will draw them. Then they are not the right gear to take for that scenario.

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 21:15

You have a small chance of not drawing one of the 3 cards in a typical game, at least if you are being fairly aggressive in drawing cards.

You have just about no chance of failing to drawing at least some of them if you bought 6. You have a really decent chance of drawing 2 or 3 of them, but likely you will never draw all of them. That is the nature of cards. If the odds offend you, then don't buy the option. It really is as simple as that.

Of course, the typical game of HoN swings quite a bit, depending on the goals of the game, the map, the players, and their dice and card luck. A game can end early and you will have not seen the cards. The game could end early and your Tiger Tank never got to do much damage and that is way more points than the cards.

If you do not think the cards have enough of an extra boost to warrant the points you spent given the odds you will draw them. Then they are not the right gear to take for that scenario.

My bro has done the math, and here it is for the record (note that there are 2 assumptions – 1) we assume that with each hand we either use or discard all 4 cards, and then draw 4 fresh cards & 2) that we draw 32 cards total throughout a full, 8-turn game):

For the 3-card option (total 53 cards, including 3 paratrooper training cards)

Chance of drawing 0 paratrooper cards = 5.68%

Chance of drawing 1 of 3 paratrooper cards = 28.69%

Chance of drawing 2 of 3 paratrooper cards = 44.46%

Chance of drawing 3 of 3 paratrooper cards = 21.17%

In other words, you run a 34.37% chance that you WON'T get 2 or more training cards.

For the 6-card option (total 56 cards, including 6 paratrooper training cards)

Chance of drawing 0 paratrooper cards = 0.41%

Chance of drawing 1 of 6 = 4.19%

Chance of drawing 2 of 6 = 16.23%

Chance of drawing 3 of 6 = 30.92%

Chance of drawing 4 of 6 – 30.57%

Chance of drawing 5 of 6 = 14.89%

Chance of drawing 6 of 6 = 2.79%

In other words, you run a massive 51.75% chance that you WON'T get 4 or more cards of 6.

Again, this assumes that the game is 1) a full 8 rounds & 2) that each 4-card hand was totally discarded and no cards saved for a later turn. #2 virtually NEVER happens in a real game of HoN.

The thing is, the training cards aren't even all that special. You can purchase a +2 Assault Dagger for 5 points, or Assault +1 Ability permanently for a hero for the same points, or 3 grenades or a Panzerfaust that can be used at will. Even if the grenade fails to damage, at least you got a chance to roll for it. For example, you can use a veteran token to force an opponent's re-roll, and their second roll might still kill your unit. But, at least you had the chance to use the token to begin with. Even if your Tiger gets popped on the first shot, it AT LEAST got to use its heavy armour defensive value to determine the chance to hit, and it still is a target that the enemy must engage on the field.

Not drawing the training cards is a complete and total wastage of points, on the other hand. Moreover, even when drawing the training card, it comes at the loss of another card, that although being free might be just as – if not more – useful. Just because you draw the training card at some point throughout the battle, doesn't mean it will be particularly useful at that stage – since as you correctly point out, the games definitely do swing quite a bit. So, it becomes even more difficult to justify the cost for the cards, since their utility is dependant on ever-changing battlefield circumstances and deck-luck, and you might draw your handy training card a turn or two too late anyways.

My issue is that I don't see the training cards as a competitive option for any scenario on a point-for-point basis (especially competitive free battles). I think the data above can speak for itself, and I hope the math will have some utility for players.

One final suggestion that my brother just gave me is this: if you purchase training cards, substitute them in for an equal number of standard cards from the deck, so that the total number of cards (including training cards) is always 50. This would increase the percentage of training cards in the deck, so that the chances to draw them are at least a little bit higher. Again, this comes with losing 3 or 6 standard cards from the deck.

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [14/09/2021] à 23:07

I was actually assuming a 6-8 round game with aggressive but not total card usage.

You can always discard any cards from hand at the end of a round so you can draw new ones, so you can guarantee you go through hand size * rounds of play cards in a game.

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [15/09/2021] à 01:03

Quote from Nostradunwhich on [14/09/2021] à 23:07

I was actually assuming a 6-8 round game with aggressive but not total card usage.

You can always discard any cards from hand at the end of a round so you can draw new ones, so you can guarantee you go through hand size * rounds of play cards in a game.

We did the calculation in favour of drawing the most cards possible. The numbers I provided are indeed for using/discarding all 4 cards each hand, and drawing 4 new cards each supply phase. We also gave the benefit of doubt that the game would last all 8 rounds (so 32 cards drawn total). As you can hopefully see, the percentages are still not great. If you account for the fact that the data provided is based off of a "perfect world" scenario of discarding/using all 4 cards of every hand and the fact that we account for a full 8-round battle, the practical percentages of drawing the training cards in a real battle are even worse. Most of the times you save a couple of cards per hand in order to plan for future turns, and so in a real battle it is highly unlikely that you will even draw the 32 cards we accounted for.

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [15/09/2021] à 08:54

Quote from ASEF on [14/09/2021] à 14:16

2)The para units you pay for, AND you have to pay for cards that you may never draw. At least with the armour, you get the value of the unit on the field at all times, and the cards are purely extra

Woeps! I didn't know you had to pay for those cards with an upgrade! Sorry! In that case there's a difference indeed!

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [15/09/2021] à 14:03

Hi Jan,

Please, no apologies! This is what the forums are for.

What's really funny about this problem is that it suits me just fine (as an armoured player) that the paratrooper training card options are not worth the points. The truth is that even I can clearly see the problem with the cards and want to help improve the experience for all players.

I think an easy solution is my first one: treat the cards like equipment. So, if you buy the cards, they are kept separate from the deck, and you can use them when you actually need them. My brother's alternative was: if you buy the cards, swap them into the main deck, replacing the same number of standard cards (so you buy 6 para cards, and swap them in for 6 standard cards – total deck size is still 50 cards). That way, the percentages are not as bad as in the data I provided above. However, the data above is the absolute maximum potential for cards drawn in a full 8-turn battle, and does not represent practical games+card usage. If I was to post the data for a 6-round game where only 2 of 4 cards per hand are used/discarded, the draw rates would be significantly worse.

Any feedback or other ideas are welcome!!!

Alex

ASEF

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [16/09/2021] à 02:52

After reading the entire discussion, I agree completely with Alex. He has raised a very good point that paratroopers (and commandos I think) are the only option you pay for that use random cards instead of tokens (that you can use at will). Makes me wonder now why Veteren is not a set of cards to shuffle in, or Ammo, or Grenades, etc??

I don’t think I will bother taking the cards as an option any more now. Although I might try house ruling your suggestion of having them as a seperate deck that you can draw from once per round (after the 1st round) in place of a standard card. I really like that suggestion as it brings these options in-line with the rest of the options. Just needs to be play tested.

Paratrooper/Commando Cards V2 Posted on [21/09/2021] à 22:38

Quote from ASEF on [14/09/2021] à 14:16

Quote from JanHoos on [14/09/2021] à 11:34

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this.

1) You still get the full value of your armour since you pay for the *unit* and the cards are free. So, you don't need armour cards to get the value out of the points invested in the vehicle itself. You pay for the vehicle, and you place an order on it whenever you want. Any cards you draw for vehicles are a bonus.

2)The para units you pay for, AND you have to pay for cards that you may never draw. At least with the armour, you get the value of the unit on the field at all times, and the cards are purely extra (and again, free). How would you feel if your HE Shells for tanks (that you pay extra for) were *cards* that you had to randomly draw? Even if you draw them, you might not draw them when you need them. Bottom line: Paratrooper cards are NOT "only an extra bit of power." They are purchasable upgrades, just like Veteran, Ammo, or Camo. You don't pay for vehicle cards, but you pay for the para cards. I still maintain that players shouldn't be put in a position where they spend 15/25 points on cards that they never draw, and get pissed off that they wasted points. That's not fun, and is too dependant on luck. After all, why do the elite paras need luck (when drawing cards) to use their expensive training?

3) The paratrooper "quirks and abilities" are hardly that useful in most games. Urban fighter? Not very useful in most games. Swimmer? Again, very very situational and most games won't utilize that ability… and the fact that the airborne units may have a high defense or assault value is offset by their base cost (higher cost per platoon to begin with). Just because they have quirks and abilities doesn't mean that the current system is right when it comes to drawing these cards randomly from the deck. Paras are expensive, so this is already factored-in.

4) What about things like Ammo, Veteran, HE Shells or other equipment? You pay your points, and you get to use your stuff when you need it. Paratrooper cards, you pay 15 or 25 points just to *hope* you draw all your cards, and *hope* that you draw the right para cards when you actually need them.

My concern is that you pay these points and have no control over when you draw para cards. In my suggestions, that problem is fixed. Of course, there are different options that I provided (and other good members of our forum very well may come up with better ideas than mine), but they all revolve around taking the luck factor out of drawing the cards, or at least allowing the player to see/use all cards he payed for throughout the course of the game. I have now played 3 games where I only drew 1 or 2 cards, and it felt like a total waste. I would have had much better value going for Camo, or Ammo, or Veteran – things I can actually use when I need them, and things that I am guaranteed to use for the points I pay.

Thanks for your response though Jan!

Respectfully,

Alex

I solved that issue by allowing players to retain such cards separated from deck cards… And allowing them to choose each time the card they want to use in a way similar to the Stalingrad Stuka plane today… Which you have to "activate" by putting order tokens onto it… And / or allowing players that dislike this or want to put such cards intonthe deck, to reshuffle an X card back intonthe deck to go, choose and draw, a card coming from the set of paratroopers or artillery cards or such… More or less in the same fashion and way sed in Magic: the gathering "dredge" decks… It works really fine!!! And it prevents bad luck to deter your overall chances ton get or use and draw the card or cards you need… At the right moment when you need them…

So… To summerize: just use such cards like they were simple troops tokens and/or tokens like the Stuka plane or Artillery recruitment options tokens!!!

Pages: 1