Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Other tactical games that are simpler and less random?
Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [21/08/2021] à 06:34

I'm enjoying HoBR and HoN. What is similar to HoBR and HoN (terrain effects, shooting, squad building, etc) but simpler and possibly less random?

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [21/08/2021] à 22:49

My favorite tactical games besides the heroes series are Front Towards Enemy, Men of Iron, and Undaunted. Undaunted being the simplest, FTE just a little more complicated but oh so deep, and men of iron being the most complicated. I think the only other tactical I know of with squad building is Conflict of Heroes with the custom game expansion. I haven’t played it yet but hear it’s fantastic

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [22/08/2021] à 01:41

Awesome, thanks! Will check those out.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [25/08/2021] à 21:17

Have you tried Tide of Iron?

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [27/08/2021] à 07:32

No, I haven't tried Tide of Iron. I'll check out some gameplay on Youtube. Thanks!

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [28/08/2021] à 16:40

Quote from DiggingBear on [21/08/2021] à 06:34

I'm enjoying HoBR and HoN. What is similar to HoBR and HoN (terrain effects, shooting, squad building, etc) but simpler and possibly less random?

I do not know why you have not been questioned about this… Question… I mean…

The admins often do have something to say about what I ask or write in the Forums, and they do not say nothing to you, that in this post are pratically saying that the Heroes system is crap because it is random or such idiot things !!! lol lol lol

You do not like randomness?!? Go play Poker and do not play to boardgames !!!

You state also that it is not simple as gaming system… I mean…

I love HoN System properly for its easyness and clearness of the rules and mechanics… Go to play warhammer 40 or other wargame… Dude !!!

Then you will see that HoN system is cool, clean and very funny and easy to explain, learn and teach to newbies gamers…

In Warhammer it happened to me that I could not shoot with my squads of infantry because they were more than just one and they were inside a megatank… Shame on the developers of warhammer rules, the above mentioned tank was, practically, designed and intended to be used as a walking "line of fire" and a "walking death war machine" full of portcullis and bunker's windows or weapons enplacements to shoot from!!!

As to say: you can use this tank as a firing bunker moving around and a self propelled antititan warmachine loaded with infantrymen firing volleys after volleys in relative safety…

But the faq or some other rules of the game stated the contrary !!! So my fellow wargamer friend did not permitted me to shoot all my weaponry !!!

In Heroes of Normandie such "nonsense" rarely happens !!!

Heroes of Normandie is the easiest and the best system around…

Otherwise go play german games or do not play wargames and boardgames at all, if you dislike randomness…

I mean… Also in life there is randomness in everything !!! Roll those D6s and have fun !!!

Even in german games there is randomness… Many of them, such as Feast for Odin or Terraforming Mars have so many cards and variants to draw and play with that randomness is their second name … No matter what radical chic german lovers and players state !!!

Trust me…

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [28/08/2021] à 17:00

Quote from DiggingBear on [21/08/2021] à 06:34

You just asked to the producers of the FORD cars if there is a better car to purchase of another brand !!!

COOL !!!

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [29/08/2021] à 02:15

Quote from Ivan Boscaro on [28/08/2021] à 16:40

you … in this post are pratically saying that the Heroes system is crap because it is random or such idiot things !!! lol lol lol

As I said: "I'm enjoying HoBR and HoN". I'm looking for similar games to play with friends and family that want something simpler. I'm especially looking for something simpler to play with my dad, who doesn't enjoy randomness.

You state also that it is not simple as gaming system

I didn't say that. You have misinterpreted my post and myself in multiple ways.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [05/09/2021] à 22:57

Tide of Iron, Memoir '44, and HoN all came out approximately the same time and all are simpler replications of Squad Leader, on a different scale. Of these, ToI is just as complex as HoN, while Memoir '44 is definitely the simplest and has a handful of expansions if you like it.

Undaunted is a good mention. Its a newer game that plays quite differently, sorta a card game on a map… sorta. Definitely worth looking at.

Another good WWII themed game is the push-your-luck card game The Grizzled. This is a co-op game, and is simple to learn (you're really just matching cards) but a good challenge to succeed at. Could be seen as more a filler game, but an excellent filler none the less.

I'll also give mention to Neuroshima Hex! This takes place in a nuclear war torn sci-fi future setting, is reasonably simple and very quick to set up and play, yet strategy is definitely there. An excellent "small" game that plays like nothing else… maybe Chess is a distant cousin. It is random in that you're drawing from a stack of chits, but the strategy is in how you place those chits for best effect before a battle erupts. And it is very 80s sci-fi, so the theme may not be your bag, but it remains one of my favourite pull-out-and-get-playing 2 player games.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [06/09/2021] à 20:20

Thanks, Kingprawn, I'll check out Memior '44 and Neuroshima Hex.

Pages: 1