Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
How to solve this melee attack case?
How to solve this melee attack case? Posted on [25/07/2021] à 16:49

I have a team of german snipers upon a wheeled Horch truck-like german "jeep"… And have fired already.

Suddenly I managed to approach them with a team of Assaulters of the soviets and they managed to start the assault of the snipers in melee… They win and kill them all.

What happens afterwards? They kill also the jeep, or they come back to the former square from which they started the assault? Does the horch jeep gains Suppression markers, maybe?

Thank you in advance…

Ps: for now I solved it by putting the Assault team in the former square they where before starting the brawl.

Is that correct?

How to solve this melee attack case? Posted on [26/07/2021] à 03:44

IF the Sniper (Sharpshooters?) was being transported in the vehicle, then you cannot assault them.

P 20 HoS rulebook, top of the right-hand column:

Transport rules, HoS p. 20

A unit inside a vehicle cannot be targeted by a Firing Action or affected by an explosion Template or be targeted by an Assault.

If the unit can hit a Light Vehicle, then it could assault the vehicle. If they succeed the Sniper will be at the very least forced out of the vehicle with a Suppressed marker on them.

When a vehicle is Destroyed, troops inside suffer no Hit but must be redeployed in unoccupied squares adjacent to the wreck. This is a Forced Move.

They must be deployed on their Inactive Side when the vehicle is Destroyed.

They may not be redeployed in a square within an enemy ZoC.

The player who owns these units chooses where to redeploy them.

Put a Suppressed Marker on each of them.

If there is no free square, outside any enemy ZoC, the unit is destroyed in the explosion.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

How to solve this melee attack case? Posted on [26/07/2021] à 13:10

Quote from Nostradunwhich on [26/07/2021] à 03:44

IF the Sniper (Sharpshooters?) was being transported in the vehicle, then you cannot assault them.

P 20 HoS rulebook, top of the right-hand column:

A unit inside a vehicle cannot be targeted by a Firing Action or affected by an explosion Template or be targeted by an Assault.

If the unit can hit a Light Vehicle, then it could assault the vehicle. If they succeed the Sniper will be at the very least forced out of the vehicle with a Suppressed marker on them.

When a vehicle is Destroyed, troops inside suffer no Hit but must be redeployed in unoccupied squares adjacent to the wreck. This is a Forced Move.

They must be deployed on their Inactive Side when the vehicle is Destroyed.

They may not be redeployed in a square within an enemy ZoC.

The player who owns these units chooses where to redeploy them.

Put a Suppressed Marker on each of them.

If there is no free square, outside any enemy ZoC, the unit is destroyed in the explosion.

Ok, thanks for the reply… But to me, this rule is unrealistic: a jeep is not a bunker or a tank withbhatches shut off… I mean… Ir the jeep is moving or standing still I can opt to shoot or assault directly its passengers/drivers… I mean… This rule is counterintuitive, in my opinion.

In addiction, sniper (or sharpshooters) teams usually have one life point only, so, once they lose a melee fight they are killed!!! They do not have the chance to leave, even suppressed, with markers on them… They eimply are wipef out and taken out or killed by surprise!!!

Another counterintuitive rule is that one stating that only troops with knife icon upon them could assault in melee… What? Seriously?!? In certain battles like Stalingrad people could attack using bare hands, teeth, the bottom side of a Mauser gun or Mosin rifle… And rhey used rocks, planks or even bricks (which there were in great quantity at disposal, being it a war fought in a very dense and great "bricks rich environment"!!!).

If this rule has to be taken licterally, it implies that recon troops cannot start a melee fight… Which in certain cases it was the only way to act, in order to save their own lives!!! I house ruled the game that they can attack in melee but, obviously, rolling only one die or rolling two and taking the worst result instead of the better one. And the game works correctly… Why then that rule was written/implemented in such way or as it is now?!?

How to solve this melee attack case? Posted on [26/07/2021] à 16:46

It’s a game system with a deliberate choices to keep gameplay smooth and predictably fast. Feel free to sandbox your games and add an extra layer of realism, if you desire.

☠☠☠ Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

How to solve this melee attack case? Posted on [26/07/2021] à 19:18

Quote from bartdevuyst on [26/07/2021] à 16:46

It’s a game system with a deliberate choices to keep gameplay smooth and predictably fast. Feel free to sandbox your games and add an extra layer of realism, if you desire.

I admit that this rule has sounded strange to me from the very first time, to the point I doubted it was an errata and then I always played the game by adapting the game system to be able to reproduce real lufe events such as those reported in my previous posts…

Pages: 1