Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Expansion Sanity Check
Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [04/05/2021] à 07:11

I'm trying to decide what expansions to add to the pledge manager for BRO, to take advantage of the Kickstarter discount. I don't own anything for HoN yet, so I want to flesh out the core set a bit without going too far overboard (yet). I intend to start out primarily with prebuilt scenarios and then move to free play from there. Mostly interested in historical content but not too strict about that.

So I'm thinking of adding:

* Carentan, Sainte Mère Eglise – More scenarios, more terrain, paratroopers.

* 4th armored division, 1st SS Panzer division – (More) armored units.

* Extra terrain Set 2 – Cheap and allows a bit more terrain customization.

* Battleground set 3 – Trains are fun.

Skipping:

* Army boxes, other unit sheets – I'm hoping the above will give me enough variety for now, and thinking this content may be updated to v2 style by the time I need it.

* Pegasus Bridge, UK, Free French – Trying not to go overboard for now.

* D-Day – Overlaps with Bloody Omaha content.

* Other terrain content – Should have a good mix for now between Omaha, stretch goals, and the scenario sets. I think the main thing I'll be missing is hills.

On the fence:

* Gazettes – Interesting content, going out of print, probably less likely to make it into a future set than the army boxes.

Does that all seem sane? Am I missing anything you would consider essential? Are there any substitutions you would make?

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [04/05/2021] à 13:07

I'm not 100% sure, but if you're taking the trains, I think the rules for them are in the Compendium ? Or maybe it's just the rules for Goering's Armored train ? (maybe a worthy addon if you like trains, btw)

Anyway, your list and reasoning seems sound. Maybe take a look at where you land in terms of storage, it can becomes quite a mess once everything is mixed together…

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [04/05/2021] à 17:40

D-Day is one I like a lot and think it will expand Omaha.

The tiles can connect with Point de Hoc and you can have the Rangers scale the cliffs.

In line with this, the Gazzette with minefields and mine clearing is nice.

I also love the Market Garden gazzette. That is an interesting battle.

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [05/05/2021] à 08:06

Omaha has minefields…at least German ones. The Gazette does give you the US version of the mines for a nice bit of reciprocity 🙂

I would suggest Gazette #6 if you can get it. The Morale system is an interesting Advanced Rule to use for larger games.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [11/05/2021] à 17:59

Thank you for the advice.

I've added Goering's train and Gazette #6, and I'll probably add some storage boxes once I'm sure I've got a final count of things.

I think I understand roughly how the trains work, so I'm planning to hold off on the Compendium for now.

Pointe du Hoc looks like a nice set, but it appears to be out of stock, unfortunately.

Gazette #1 (Minefields) and Gazette #5 (Market Garden) are out of stock from DPG, at least in English.

It looks like a few things that are out of stock from DPG are still available from Iello, so I'm considering what, if anything, I want to order there. One thing I noticed is that they still have the Airborne / paratrooper sets in stock.

If I want to be able to occasionally play a 3 or 4 player game, which makes more sense?

* Pick up the US and GE paratrooper packs for ~$34 (total) plus shipping. This gives me paratrooper cards (different backs, but they'll be sleeved), separate order tokens, and a couple extra units. I'd need to use shared decks.

* Pick up the Kickstarter Game elements (20€) and decks (20€). This gives me paratrooper cards, separate order tokens, and separate decks. Costs a bit more and doesn't include the extra couple units.

* Some other combination?

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [12/05/2021] à 04:53

Quote from RansomOfThulcandra on [11/05/2021] à 17:59

* Pick up the US and GE paratrooper packs for ~$34 (total) plus shipping. This gives me paratrooper cards (different backs, but they'll be sleeved), separate order tokens, and a couple extra units. I'd need to use shared decks.

* Pick up the Kickstarter Game elements (20€) and decks (20€). This gives me paratrooper cards, separate order tokens, and separate decks. Costs a bit more and doesn't include the extra couple units.

* Some other combination?

The paratrooper packs come with what you need to turn the elite troops into their own faction (Order tokens, Initiative markers for the Turn Order Track, Faction-specific objective marker), a hero, and some extras such as the training (using the paratrooper cards) and some gear. Of note to you if you are going to play with Gazette #6 is it comes with a paratrooper NCO. Not a lot of troops, but some useful stuff.

They are cheaper than an Army box, and given that Bloody Omaha comes with about half the contents of an Army box (at least in terms of high command and armor platoon and another platoon for each faction), the paratrooper packs are likely more useful to you.

However, if you want those mainly for the order tokens, the faction order tokens available as add-ons to the KS would serve the bill as well. Depending on the cost of the paratrooper packs, they may or may not be cheaper than just getting the order tokens + faction bags 🙂

Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [25/05/2021] à 22:14

Quote from Pippin123 on [04/05/2021] à 13:07

I'm not 100% sure, but if you're taking the trains, I think the rules for them are in the Compendium ? Or maybe it's just the rules for Goering's Armored train ? (maybe a worthy addon if you like trains, btw)

Anyway, your list and reasoning seems sound. Maybe take a look at where you land in terms of storage, it can becomes quite a mess once everything is mixed together…

You are right… Rules for trains sn Goering expansions are in the Compendium…

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [01/06/2021] à 00:12

I did end up deciding to add the D-Day scenario as well, despite the overlap with Bloody Omaha.

I think the D-Day beach terrain tiles will be more flexible for use in building custom maps than the ones included Bloody Omaha. That will leave the more interesting reverse side of the Omaha tiles available, as well.

Through a combination of Iello and the BRO pledge manager I've gotten Gazettes #1-7. I was most interested in 3, 5, 6, and 7 and figured if I was halfway there I might as well finish things off.

From Iello I also got the Airborne packs and the 7th armored pack (since it was discounted), and some army storage boxes.

To flesh out the options for heroes I added Level Up, Private Bryan, and Karl von Krok.

And to further flesh out the terrain options I've added some odds and ends:

* Fortified Farm

* Battleground set 2

* Radar station & Factory

* A couple battlegrounds storage boxes

This is starting to stray a little further overboard than I intended, but such is life.

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [01/06/2021] à 05:16

Quote from RansomOfThulcandra on [01/06/2021] à 00:12

I think the D-Day beach terrain tiles will be more flexible for use in building custom maps than the ones included Bloody Omaha. That will leave the more interesting reverse side of the Omaha tiles available, as well.

You are right. They are good compliments — the modular parts of D-Day will blend well with Omaha. The combination offers a good mix for invasion games especially for a large invasion scenario. :mrgreen:

Through a combination of Iello and the BRO pledge manager I've gotten Gazettes #1-7. I was most interested in 3, 5, 6, and 7 and figured if I was halfway there I might as well finish things off.

Nice work 🙂 It takes a bit of work, but the majority are still available. Enjoy.

I think you have a good eye for value as well 🙂

And to further flesh out the terrain options I've added some odds and ends:

* Fortified Farm

* Battleground set 2

* Radar station & Factory

* A couple battlegrounds storage boxes

Good set of terrain.

Expansion Sanity Check Posted on [08/06/2021] à 07:36

Reminder to folks that the PM is closing on the 14th.

Make sure you don't wait until the last minute to validate your pledge!

Pages: 1