Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Firing movement and assault in one action
Firing movement and assault in one action Posted on [13/09/2020] à 15:25

Hello,

there is a thing that puzzling me.

I have seen some video in which players (most of all with tactical or assault marine, that have got the assault and firing movement icon on them) to perform in the same action with the same unit a firing movent and an assault. But it seems to me that they are doing 2 action instead of 1 as stated by the rules (you can make 1 action only)

Am I correct?

In case you can perform both a firing action and an assault can you please make some example?

I hope have been clear.

Many thanks.

Firing movement and assault in one action Posted on [14/09/2020] à 03:18

Most space marines and some orcs have the fire on the move special ability. This ability lets the unit fire during the movement action either before a unit leaves a square or immediately after entering a square. This attack is less accurate than normal attacks so the unit suffers the penalty indicated in the symbol. Page 15 of the rule book. Assault rules are on page 17. The assault rules mention a unit firing and destroying a target by using a card or special ability. I also think a unit with the charge ability page 19 could make a "free attack" before the assault. So It could in theory have 3 attacks if it had fire on the move, charge , and assault.

Firing movement and assault in one action Posted on [14/09/2020] à 07:35

Exactly what Violator says, you can combine special abilities to fire while moving.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Firing movement and assault in one action Posted on [14/09/2020] à 18:03

First of all many thanks.

I have understood the general explanation but regarding this part "So It could in theory have 3 attacks if it had fire on the move, charge , and assault" this means < without taking into account cards > that one unit in its turn and unit activation can perform (attack) an enemy unit 2 times (first I can fire on the move than assault the same enemy unit) ?.

Thanks

Firing movement and assault in one action Posted on [17/09/2020] à 00:46

Here's how I think about it:

1. Generally units have to stay still when they perform a firing action, so you have a choice of a move action with the unit or firing action with the unit.

However, units that have the fire-on-the-move special ability can move as normal but can also take a firing action (with a penalty) as they move. So I guess they are taking 2 actions in a sense, but one of them is at a penalty due to the other.

2. Assault is not an action, it is a side-effect of moving into a square occupied by an enemy unit. You need to declare that you are assaulting a unit before you do it but it is essentially just a follow-on from the move action. It is like saying 'I am going to move into this square, I see it is already occupied, so my move will finish with an assault to try to claim that square.'

3. If the unit also has the charge special ability and you are going to be in assault with a unit at the end of your movement, then the charge ability allows you to 'break the rules', by letting you have a free firing action, at the unit you are assaulting, at close range (i.e. adjacent) just before you get into assault.

So if you have given an order to a unit with fire-on-the-move and charge special abilities then you can do the following when you activate that unit:

– declare the target unit that you want to assault

– start your move action

– fire at any target at some point during your movement action (with a penalty)

– as you get adjacent to the target unit you gain a bonus firing action. So, you target the unit you are assaulting and receive no penalty (because it resolves like a normal firing action)

– finally you move into assault with the target unit and the assault is automatically resolved.

So the above would apply if you had an Ultramarine, like Sicarius, and gave him the Digital Weapon recruitment option. Then he would have fire-on-the-move and charge special abilities and be a walking tank.

You said: 'this means < without taking into account cards > that one unit in its turn and unit activation can perform (attack) an enemy unit 2 times (first I can fire on the move than assault the same enemy unit) ?'

The 3 attacks would be:

1. Fire-on-the-move: could be any target, but could be the unit you are assaulting.

2. Charge grants a free firing action on the unit you are assaulting.

3. The assault itself is an attack on that unit

Hope that helps.

Firing movement and assault in one action Posted on [17/09/2020] à 01:52

explained perfectly GeeTee123

Firing movement and assault in one action Posted on [21/11/2020] à 07:10

Hi, can all this be executed when a squad is already adjacent to the enemy?

So:

Suppressing on the move followed by (possibly charge) and assault?

Or fire on the move requires non adjacent tiles?

Thanks

Firing movement and assault in one action Posted on [21/11/2020] à 09:14

Hi Graak, you can do both Fire on the Move and Charge while already adjacent to your target.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Pages: 1