Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Should I buy the Compendium?
Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [02/04/2020] à 00:29

I just recieved my HoS pledge!

I know HoS uses the '2.0' ruleset, but I still have my HoN components – which I never got the compendium for. Would it be worthwhile for me to get the Compendium?

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [02/04/2020] à 04:23

It would help if you were a bit more specific about what you mean by "HoN stuff". The Compendium is a fairly expensive extra, but if you own most or all of the Heroes of WW2 published stuff, then it is VERY valuable, since it has all the expansion materials in one place. Saves a lot of searching unless you track exactly where each unit comes from 🙂

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [02/04/2020] à 05:03

I own all the expansion boxes, Terrain 1 and rivers, as well as gazettes 4, 5 and 8.

Sorry for the vagueness! It certainly sounds like a handy thing to have in my case then.

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [02/04/2020] à 11:20

In your case, I’d get the Compendium then.

It combines all rules in one nice book and it improved the wording on quite a few rules (compared to the original rules).

You’ll also get a nice folder for storing the Gazettes and a few handy reference sheets with it.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [05/04/2020] à 05:33

Quote from bartdevuyst on [02/04/2020] à 11:20

In your case, I’d get the Compendium then.

I agree with Bart.

Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [08/04/2020] à 18:36

I think the reference sheets alone already are worth getting it.

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [09/04/2020] à 15:30

I agnew with Bart, and i love the artwork in it.

Zijn er ook nerderlandse spelers onder ons? Omgeving nijmegen, uden, enz.

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [06/12/2020] à 19:46

I received my Compendium in early December 2020. The book is great but the accompanying reference sheets are problematic as some of the original French text is still present on the English versions.

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [07/12/2020] à 08:10

Quote from Perchpole on [06/12/2020] à 19:46

I received my Compendium in early December 2020. The book is great but the accompanying reference sheets are problematic as some of the original French text is still present on the English versions.

That is very odd. As far as I knew, only the printer's proof copy had that issue… DPG got that first-off-the-printer copy and found the issue and fixed it. I know you cannot have that copy, because it is right here at my desk.

Maybe the printer had printed more than the first sample, and some of those got out… or maybe some French pages got mixed in. Is a page printed in French on BOTH sides?

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [08/12/2020] à 23:15

See the attachment. Not a great photo but you get the idea. There are several instances of French text. More to the point, where can I get replacements?

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [09/12/2020] à 11:56

Do you have one page that has the top header of "Affrontements Libres"? It is a page entirely in French because they used the wrong file for that page, but the other side is in English.

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [09/12/2020] à 17:01

@bartdevuyst – I did reach out to after-sales as soon as I received my order. That was several days ago but still no response. DPG customer support is notoriously slow.

@Nostradunwhich – No I don't have the sheet you describe. All the sheets are "English" appart from a few random paragraphs where the text remains in the original French. Clearly someone forgot to check. More to the point, I cannot be the only person with these sheets. People should be encouraged to check and report similar problems.

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [09/12/2020] à 23:16

In theory, there should never be a case where some pages are printed incorrectly and the rest are printed correctly — they are all supposed to be printed from the same file. Assuming there was not a second printing, which I have certainly not heard exists. The Compendium was supposed to be "one and done".

When DPG got the very first proof from the files, they realized there were errors — one page was untranslated and a couple of other things were not translated. That is the problem with having Native French speakers looking over translated files 🙂 In any case, DPG contacted the printer and got an updated file sent over, which was used for production.

So any translation error like that should in theory exist on EVERY copy of the page, so there is not going to be a "corrected" page available to fix that… UNLESS the printer has printed a number of the first version originally and then did not throw them out and instead mixed in a few to help ensure they had the correct number of packages completed. If that is the case then there may be a correction available.

However, looking at my misprinted copy, I see only 1 page and 1 entry that are incorrect. What OTHER entries are you talking about? Please list them all so folks can verify them against their own copies. I apologize for not having had the chance to dig out my production version, which is in storage atm.

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [10/12/2020] à 17:26

I've just heard back from, Devil Pig "support" and they say there is nothing they can do. Apparently the same translation errors appear on every copy of the reference sheet. They can't replace it because a correct version does not exist!

Make of that what you will.

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [11/12/2020] à 06:50

Quote from Perchpole on [10/12/2020] à 17:26

Make of that what you will.

I tried to warn you that a mistranslated paragraph is not going to be "fixable" with a simple replacement. It is not like a miss-cut token or a sheet where the cut was incorrect and part of it was missing or any other "one-off" sort of error.

That in no way invalidates your desire to want an entirely correct set of reference sheets, which is what you thought you purchased. The good news is that it is only the reference sheet. The text in the rules is entirely fine, and that is the rulebook and ultimately what matters.

Bart, can you verify that the cliffs entry in the Compendium is correct on your copy? I cannot for reasons I have already mentioned.

And I would still really like to know what other entries you found in French. That seems really odd given other folks reactions. If you had a situation where a French page was accidentally mixed in your set of sheets, that is a different sort of issue, but scattered mistranslations seems very odd. Did you buy the book directly from DPG?

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [11/12/2020] à 07:28

Okay, I double-checked and it seems I was a bit sleepy the first I checked my reference sheets because I only now noticed the few French entries on it. I’m sorry, I completely looked over the French texts.

Seems like there really is just one version. Sorry to spread this confusion. 😯

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [11/12/2020] à 08:33

A couple of errors here…

Perhaps with hindsight the best thing to do is to correct the errors and then offer the reference sheets as hi-res downloads for people to print out as they wish?

Should I buy the Compendium? Posted on [11/12/2020] à 12:12

So those entries exist in all the compendium set reference sheets, I thought as much. Thank you, Bart, for confirming it so we know there are not two different versions.

To be honest, I don't use the reference sheets, so never even noticed if mine was correct or not. But then I am often marinated in HoN rules for extended periods, so my experience may not be common 😉 I do find it an interesting note that it was two elements found in the D-Day expansion that had the issue with being untranslated. That may have been part of why I did not notice the issue before, since I rarely play an invasion scenario.

Helpfully, the reference card includes page references that help you quickly find the rules in the rulebook, and in English.

Given it took DPG until recently to finally publish the Aircraft rules while the accompanying Sniper rules are still outstanding since 2019, I just want to set expectations that the correction is not likely to appear quickly. Thankfully, the English version of the rule is in the accompanying compendium, so you have access to them even if the reference card is incompletely translated.

Pages: 1