Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Interchangeable Expansions?
Expansions Posted on [05/04/2018] à 18:05

I haven't played Heroes of Normandie but I backed the Heroes of Stalingrad kickstarter. I'm considering getting some of expansions, commonwealth units, US units but I don't have Heroes of Normandie. Can I use expansions with Heroes of Stalingrad, particularly the expansions that say Heroes of Normandie are required?

Expansions Posted on [05/04/2018] à 18:31

Everything in Heroes of Normandie, Heroes of Stalingrad and Shadows over Normandie can be used together with no problems. You can even add Heroes of Black Reach in the mix!

If you plan to mix the games together, you might consider purchasing the Compendium rules. It contains every rule for everything published so far.

But, if for example you want to buy the british airborne troops, the Pegasus bridge box contains all the rules needed to field them and they work with the Stalingrad rules seamlessly.

It is ahistorical to field the brits against the Russians, but if you don't care about that, you can easily to do it. Everything works together.

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Expansions Posted on [05/04/2018] à 18:45

Thanks for the info.

Expansions Posted on [05/04/2018] à 19:40

Note, if you can tell us which expansions you are interested in, we can give you a better advice on what might be a good thing to buy.

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Expansions Posted on [06/04/2018] à 04:22

Sure, I'm focusing on units in the HoN line because I'm undecided about the Cthulhu theme. Units in groups of six is also important because my OCD won't allow me to get any more or any less than that which fits into a storage box set.

These are some sets I'm considering:

– Commonwealth Army Box, 7th Armoured Division, Pegasus Bridge and two UK storage box sets.

– Alternatively, I'm considering the economical option of the Commonwealth Army Box, the British Weapon Platoon and one UK storage box set.

– GE 21eme PZ, SS-Panzergrenadier, Devil Pig News 4 (they're all on sale) and one GE storage box set. Still need another unit to fill the storage boxes though.

– US Army Box, US rifle Platoon, US Rangers (also all on sale) and one US storage box set.

The US Army Box doesn't seem to come with action cards though, are these only available in the core box? I'm not sure what else may be missing for me to be able to use the units above.

Thanks for the help

Expansions Posted on [06/04/2018] à 04:43

If you are seriously considering the Commonwealth forces and can get your hands on the CW Army Box then do it now. That is out of print, but has the CW Action Card deck in it, so if you want the CW army you should grab it.

If you just want "more forces" then that may be of less concern.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Expansions Posted on [06/04/2018] à 09:00

I will start with the assumption that you do not want to buy the base Heroes of Normandie box (or cannot since it seems to be OOP). You plan to play these units by using the Heroes of Stalingrad set.

Note about the action card deck issue: You need a deck of action cards to play an army.

The US card deck comes in the Heroes of Normandie box (which you won’t be buying)

The Commonwealth card deck comes in the Commonwealth Army box.

The composition of a card deck is so that all card decks contain the same cards (only the names and pictures might be different, the card rules remain the same). Each country has about 5-7 unique cards in the deck on top of that. So, if it happens that you don’t get an US card deck, but do get a Commonwealth card deck, you can use the Commonwealth deck for both US and British armies to get by.

Devil Pig Games are planning to release an upgraded card deck for US and German armies. Perhaps they are selling them by the time you get your Heroes of Stalingrad box. Then you can have the US deck too. Until then, you can use ANY spare card deck for the US as the cards are about 95% the same card between the countries.

Now onto the planned purchases:

– Commonwealth Army Box, 7th Armoured Division, Pegasus Bridge and two UK storage box sets.

This gives you British High command, 3 British field commands, 6 British infantry platoons, 2 British tank platoons, 1 British recon platoon (armoured cars) and 7 British heroes. Also, the British order counters set and British card deck and 6 maps (with forest theme and a river theme).

A very respectable force that allows you to build just about any kind of force for the British side. You might consider adding the additional British weapon platoon punchboard to this set, for completeness sake since it is on a sale.

– Alternatively, I'm considering the economical option of the Commonwealth Army Box, the British Weapon Platoon and one UK storage box set.

This gives you British High command, 1 British field commands, 3 British infantry platoons, 1 British tank platoon and 3 British heroes. Also, the British order counters set and British card deck. You should include the Canadian infantry (Alt) platoon in this set for one more infantry platoon (it’s cheap). You can store these easily in the Commonwealth army box and 1 UK storage box set.

This gives you a fully playable British force that is comparable to what you are getting for the Germans and Soviets in Heroes of Stalingrad.

– GE 21eme PZ, SS-Panzergrenadier, Devil Pig News 4 (they're all on sale) and one GE storage box set. Still need another unit to fill the storage boxes though.

The 21st Panzer division set gives you a fully mechanized force: 1 Field command, 1 Panzer platoon, 1 Reconnaissance platoon (that is different from the ones in Stalingrad) and 1 infantry platoon mounted on Half-tracks. These are good units to add to your Stalingrad germans. The DP News 4 includes an unit that is thematically attached to Fallschirmjäger army, but it can be used in the Wehrmacht army too, so it is a nice Heroic platoon to add to your force (you also get Mussolini). For that last unit: How about the SS-Panzergrenadier punchboard? It is cheap and can be used alongside your Wehrmacht force.

Or, if you’re willing to spend a bit more money, how about getting the D-Day expansion? It gives you a german Festungskompagnie (a platoon with many HMGs). This set also comes with beach maps (which can be used for those Volga river crossing type games!) and a set of bunkers and razor wire which are always great option to have. You also will get US Engineers for your US force. Win-win! The beach assault scenarios are also fun.

– US Army Box, US rifle Platoon, US Rangers (also all on sale) and one US storage box set.

This gives you 1 US High command, 1 US Field command, 1 US tank platoon, 1 US recon squadron, 3 US infantry platoons and 4 US heroes. Also, a set of US order counters. Again, a solid force comparable to what you are getting for the Germans and Soviets in Heroes of Stalingrad. You are missing the US card deck, but you can use any of the other card decks for them until you manage to get your hands on the US one. I really would recommend the D-Day expansion too for that always useful US Combat Engineers platoon (and bunkers, razorwire and beach maps…).

You might also consider getting some more maps. The ones from Stalingrad will last a long time as the map configurations are endless, but some more maps is always nice to have.

The Battleground set gives a nice set of fields, swamp, foresty type terrain (6 maps) for those games outside of the city.

The Battleground set 2 gives you hills and harbor style terrain. The Harbour might fit nicely with the Stalingrad maps for those Volga river front battles. They also merge nicely with the D-Day maps if you purchase that set.

Out of the two, I think the The Battleground set 2 might be more useful if you only get 1 set.

Getting more maps is not strictly necessity, but gives opportunity for different style games. So that it won’t always have to be a city fight (even if those are fun too).

Expansions Posted on [06/04/2018] à 11:29

Thanks for the thorough breakdown, it cleared up a lot of confusion.

After reading your notes I decided to be economical with the Commonwealth units. I went with the Commonwealth Army Box, British Weapon Platoon, Canadian Infantry and Gazette 2 with Hobart's Funnies.

Instead of spending more money on Commonwealth units I went with GE 21eme PZ, SS Panzergrenadier, News 4 and took your advice and got D-Day as well. I also got the US Army Box, Rifle Platoon and US Rangers.

I opted for the battleground set 1 because it was on sale. Mostly everything was on sale, which is great. Looking forward to the next sale.

Expansions Posted on [06/04/2018] à 12:24

That sounds like a nice set of units.

Once you get those units, you can actually to start playing the game while waiting for the Heroes of Stalingrad.

You have maps (beach landings or fields/swamps)

You have units for quite sizable armies for Brits, US and Germans

You are missing german order tokens (but have Brit orders and US orders) and US/German card decks (but have Brit card deck).

My advice would be that both sides draw their hand of cards from the same british deck. That way you can play the game while waiting to get the actual US and German decks. You can use US order tokens for the germans (or Brit tokens if you are playing against US instead). Or play US vs. British game! Everything goes.

The rules of the game and the various special abilities can be downloaded in this DPG site download section.

You might need to improvise some "activated" and "pinned" counters as I don't remember how many of those come with the Army boxes.

EDIT: I cannot believe I forgot to recommend the Hobarts Funnies gazette for you! There's some nice tanks in there.

You might be interested in the minefield add on too as one of the Funnies is a mine-clearing tank.

Expansions Posted on [06/04/2018] à 12:35

And remember that if you ever get interested in the Cthulhu themed Shadows over Normandie, those units can be used with all of your Heroes of Normandie and Heroes of Stalingrad units with no problems.

I have played many games mixing everything together and having a lots of fun.

I have even played game with the Orks and Ultramarines against the HoN/SoN units. Works great. This system is really flexible.

Expansions Posted on [06/04/2018] à 13:51

Thanks for the tip about the mines. I’ll have to keep that in mind next time. Looking forward to playing soon.

Expansions Posted on [06/04/2018] à 14:24

Have fun games!

The minefield add on comes with Mineclearing troops for the Brits, Yanks and Germans.

Looks like the Soviets need to clear the minefields in the oldfashioned way…

Interchangeable Expansions? Posted on [13/04/2020] à 04:24

I will add some notes from Thia74 in the French forums (as translated by Google Translate) [link]

Okay now you have in hand "Heroes of Stalingrad" and you wonder: what is next?

Fret not! In the Heroes of Normandie range, there are quite a few modules (still in stock and currently on promotion) that you can historically integrate (with tiny modifications) into Heroes of Stalingrad.

Heroes of Stalingrad is the Eastern Front treated from June 1942 (Operation Fall Blau) to July 43 (Kursk)

German Army box

May be the best addition for Stalingrad

– The Pz IV of the panzergruppe can be used without problems, the F2 and G versions were used starting in June 42.

– The Stug IV are identical to Stug III F introduced mid 42

– For panzergrenadiers it will just replace the panzershreck with an AT rifle (or at least use its characteristics)

– For the Sturmpionnieres it would just be necessary to remove the goliaths.

– The schwimwagen will represent an equivalent kubelwagen in terms of play.

– The Panther will be restricted to perhaps Kursk at the earliest.

Heroic Platoon Witmann and SS Panzergrenadier

No modification and you will thus have a kampfgruppe of the Leibstandarte during the battle of Kharkov and in Kursk with or without the association of the GE Army box

Civilian under fire

You will have a dreaded SD unit on the eastern front and a group of Russian partisans. however, the FFI Panzershreck should not be used.

As a bonus, additional customizations for your troops are available.

Gazette # 1

The main addition is the mines used massively by belligerents, but also German minesweepers and a piece of German artillery.

For the Russians you can use the English minesweepers and the howitzer as Russian units. the brown is very close. so you will have a 76.2mm Russian infantry cannon.

Gazette # 6

Addition of morale rules and NCOs. Here too, you will use the English to represent the Soviets. The para sergeant will, in fact, be a sergeant of the guard or the NKVD of your choice.

Karl Von Kroc

Nothing to add so his presence is evident in the east

Goering and the Armored Train

To the east, the two camps commonly used armored trains to secure their arrears for the Germans or in combat for the Russians.

Land

On this side I recommend the following packs

– River set

– Battleground set II

– Battleground set

– Battleground Set III

I just suggest modifying the hedgerow by limiting the defense bonus to +1 and disregarding "difficult terrain" since there are no hedgerow to the east.

Level Up

obvious also to boost your characters.

As of this writing these items are on sale.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Pages: 1